The Newest Newman!

pregnancy calendar

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Surgery Stopped

Greetings friends,

I spoke with my sister tonight and learned that Devon's surgery was stopped at the very last minute today. They got as far as having him sedated, but as they were putting in his breathing tube they were having a hard time getting it in place. In addition, the surgeon said she didn't realize the extent to which Devon's liver was enlarged, and that his breathing was struggling as well. With all of these considerations she decided to cancel the surgery.

Ashley and Ron were understandably shaken by this. They were disappointed, i think, not only that he wasn't able to have the surgery, but also that the doctor was seemingly unaware of his actual physical condition before starting the procedure. He still has the breathing tube in because his throat become swollen as they put the tube in the first place, so it's hard to see the little guy with the breathing tube in, and all for nothing. Ashley said they will just play it by ear when they can take it back out again, once the swelling goes down.

Until the breathing tube comes out they are not feeding him, only giving him a glucose drip intravenously. Poor Ashley was thoroughly exhausted when I spoke with her, and she said she will know more tomorrow.

Let's pray that Devon will not be in too much pain, and that the swelling will go down in his throat. Let's also pray for wisdom for the doctors to know what the next steps are for Devon. There is a consensus by the doctor and by Ashley and Ron that the surgery is not an option again in the near future, so lets pray they find another solution for his acid reflux.

Thank you for your prayers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well little Devon, you are quite the charmer, having managed to be so sweet at such a young age, and draw so many people into your life so quickly.

You don't know me yet -- and I trust that someday I will meet you -- but I am Auntie Nicole's mother-in-law. I've been following your journey and praying for you since before you were born! Now that you have arrived, I continue to be mindful in prayer of your parents,all your extended family, the doctors, and of course, yourself!

Sending hugs today from Kitchener, Ontario (Canada) ...

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Little Precious Devon~
You are a true and amazing gift from God! You have touched the lives of so many as we see God doing his wonderful and miracoulous work on a daily basis. I am your Great-Aunt Sheila and there are tons of people here and around the world that are praying for you on a daily basis.

Everytime I see your picture I am so drawn to the strength I see in your eyes. Your mommy is a very special woman and her love for you is deeper than any ocean. Aunt Nikki keeps us updated on all of your accomplishments and bumps in the road so we know how to pray for you!

I can't imagaine what your little mind is thinking, but I know God and His legions of angels are there with you all the time. God is always with us Devon and I know He loves you very much and so do I.

I love you sweet baby boy...
Aunt Sheila